Sunday, February 5, 2012

Halle

I am beginning to think that German cities fall in to two categories: those that got the shit bombed out of them and those that didnt. Leipzig is a beautiful town that I just love the downtown area so much. Halle is what some say "a good example of pre-reunification architecture" ie ugly as all get out but we dont feel like replacing it. My question that I think is going to last all trip is, all of the German cities have some story but ultimately they all share a similar history, why are certain ones more 'important' than others for our trip, why does some of the history matter and not other pieces. I think the easy answer to why we are visiting the cities that we are is because they are geographically close to Lutherstadt Wittenberg. I would like to get the chance to visit Hamburg but I dont think it is in the cards because it is so far away. Anyways back to Leipzig, I really like Leipzig because it is an old town with very pretty buildings but isnt stuck in the past like Wittenberg is. Wittenberg seems to preserve its old town because of 'Luther,' Leipzig seems happy to put new things in when it is needed. For example, the University at Leipzig has a gorgeous cathedral of sorts made of glass and steel. Right across the square from this new cathedral is the opera house. I have for a long time thought that opera was horrid due to my experiences as a child with Madame Butterfly. However, after seeing Macbeth I could become an opera fan. The music, sets, lighting, and acting was incredible. The only downside of watching incredible shows like that is that it makes me want to design sets and play with the fancy rotating stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment